Dr. Laura McArthur joined the Department of Nutrition and Health Care Management in Fall of 2014. Dr. McArthur has taught courses at three previous universities: University of Vermont, Eastern Carolina University, and Western Illinois University. She has an impressive teaching career of 28 years and counting. Dr. McArthur was born and raised in Balboa, Canal Zone in the Republic of Panama. She is bilingual in English and Spanish and enjoys domestic and foreign travel, reading mystery novels, anything chocolate, and playing with dogs and cats.
- PhD in Nutrition Science from the University of California Davis.
- M.S. in Food and Nutrition from Texas Tech University.
- M.A. in International Studies from the School of Advanced International Studies,
- B.S. in Political Science from Rice University.
Current Courses Being Taught
- NUT 3205 Nutrition and the Lifecycle
- NUT 2202 Nutrition and Health
- NUT 4206 Advanced Nutrition II
- NUT 5210 Nutrition for Older Adults
- Weight management
- Snacking patterns
- Cultural competence
- Dietary guidelines
Selected Presentations & Publications
- McArthur, L.H., Monahan, P.L., Sheng, B.Z. & Holbert, D. (2016). Third and fourth year nursing and dietetics students' snacking patterns and snack correlates: An exploratory study from the Midwestern United States. Journal of Allied Health, 45(4):251-258.
- Longley, C.E., McArthur, L.H., and Holbert, D. Rural Latino Parents Offer Preschool Children Few Nutrient-Dense Snacks: A Community-Based Study in Western Illinois. Hispanic Health Care International (in press).
- McArthur, L. H., Forsythe, W. A. & Holbert, D. (2012). Is field of study or location associated with college students' snacking patterns? Journal of Obesity, DOI: 10.1155/2012/297195.
- McArthur, L. H. & Pawlak, R. (2011). An exploratory study of compliance with dietary recommendations among college students majoring in health-related disciplines: Application of the transtheoretical model. Nutrition Research and Practice, 5(6), 578-584.
- McArthur, L. H., Greathouse, K. R., Smith, E. R. & Holbert, D. (2011). A quantitative assessment of the cultural knowledge, attitudes, and experiences of junior and senior dietetics students. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 43, 464-472.
- Schunk, J. M., McArthur, L. H. & Maahs-Fladung, C. A. (2009). Correlates for healthy snacking among middle-income Midwestern women. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 41(4), 274-280.