Dr. Thompson is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) and a Board Certified Nutrition Support Clinician (CNSC). Before she began teaching in the Department of Nutrition and Health Care Management at Appalachian State University (ASU), she worked in a critical access hospital. Her clinical experiences provided an impetus for her interest in rural health care, with a focus on the ways rurality impacts the nutrition status of rural patients.
Dr. Thompson's passion for rural health care grew when she relocated to the beautiful Appalachian Mountains and began participating in rural health research. During her career at ASU, her accomplishments have included the following:
- Director of Appalachian State University’s Graduate Programs in Public Health Nutrition (Certificate and MS in Nutrition)
- Participation in research on providing effective nutrition care to rural populations
- Participation in research focused on public health nutrition, including food pantry capabilities and operations
- Peer-reviewed publications and other professional writing, including associate editorship of the 2020 text, Public Health Nutrition (Springer Publishers)
- Presentation of rural-focused research at national conferences
- Teaching in the Department of Nutrition and Healthcare Management, including graduate courses in rural health, life cycle nutrition, and public health nutrition education
Dr. Thompson has strong professional interests in both public health nutrition and clinical nutrition.
Dr. Thompson enjoys facilitating learning opportunities for students within the graduate nutrition program. She is passionate about mentoring and guiding emerging nutrition professionals. It is her hope that all of her students will gain an appreciation of the complexities involved in delivering health care to rural populations, and that some of her students will find purpose and passion in building careers in rural health settings.
- DCN, Doctor of Clinical Nutrition, Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
- MS in Nutrition, East Carolina University
- Didactic Program in Dietetics, Kansas State University
- Rural Health
- Public Health Nutrition
- Food Pantry Capabilities
- Systematic Review Methodology
- Simulation in Dietetics Education
- Nutrition Care for Gastroenterological Conditions
Current Courses Being Taught
- NUT 4300/5300 Effective Rural Practice for Health Professionals
- NUT 5200 Life Cycle Nutrition for Public Health Nutrition Professionals
- NUT 5150 Public Health Nutrition Education
- NUT 5450/5475 Public Health Nutrition Capstone Experience
- NUT 2202 Nutrition and Health
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- North Carolina Dietetic Association
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- American Public Health Association
Selected Presentations & Publications
- Hand RK, Davis AM, Thompson KL, Knol L, Thomas A, Proaño G. Updates to The Definition of Evidence-Based (Dietetics) Practice: Providing Clarity for Practice. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2021 August. 121(8):1565 – 1573. Epub 2020 Aug 9.
- Gutschall M, Thompson KL, Visocky S, Johnson K, McRee C. Examination of Dietary Patterns in Central/Southern Appalachia. Journal of Appalachian Studies. Fall 2021.
- Margetin C, Radler DR, Thompson KL, Ziegler J, Dreker ML, Byham-Gray L, Chung M. Anthropometric outcomes in children using telehealth with weight management interventions compared with usual care: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2021 April 27;1-24.
- Thompson KL, Gutschall M, Cockerham K. A Practical Quality Improvement Model for Developing Realistic Simulations for Dietetics Education. NDEP-Line; Fall 2020:10-17.
- Thompson KL, Gutschall M, Bliss A, Herman G, Zimmerman M, Kingry B, McMahan S. Developing and Pilot Testing a Population-focused Nutrition Screen Incorporating Social Determinants of Health: An Example from Rural Appalachia, United States. World Nutrition. 2020;11(2):74-89.
- McAnulty LS, Collier SR, Pike J, Thompson KL, McAnulty SR. Time course of blueberry ingestion on measures of arterial stiffness and blood pressure. Journal of Berry Research. 2019;9(4):631-640.
- Thompson KL, Margaret Sugg, M. Margaret Barth. The North Carolina Food Pantry Organizational Capability and Mapping Study: Research Brief and Pilot Study. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development. 2019;9(1), 1-13.
- Thompson KL, Parrott S, Chung M, Handu D, Gutschall MD, Jewell ST, Byham-Gray L. Nutrition Specialists Have a Positive Impact on Weight Status Outcomes in Multi-Component Pediatric Weight Management Interventions: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2019. 119(5):799-817.
- Thompson KL, Stetzler S. Theatrical Improvisation Training as a Vehicle to Improve Empathetic Communication Skills in Nutrition and Dietetics Students. Topics in Clinical Nutrition. 2019. 34(20:114-124.
- Gutschall M, Marchetti J, Thompson KL. Counseling Strategies to Improve Nutrition Care for Rural Appalachian Patients. Topics in Clinical Nutrition. 2018. 34(1):77-87.
- Duarte-Gardea M, Gonzales-Pacheo D, Reader D, Thomas A, Wang S, Gregory R, Thompson K, Piemonte T. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Gestational Diabetes Evidence-Based Practice Guideline. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2018;118(9):1719-1742.
- Parrott JS, Henry B, Thompson KL, Handu D, Ziegler J. Managing Complexity in Evidence Analysis: A Worked Example in Pediatric Weight Management. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2018.118(8):1526-1542.
- Thompson KL, Elliott L, Voss A, Fuchs V, Levin R, Piemonte T. Oncology Evidence-based Nutrition Practice Guideline for Adults. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2017; 117(2): 297-310.
Recent Honors and Awards
- 2021. Awardee, University Academic Assessment Council (UAAC) Assessment Grant. “Curriculum Mapping: Incorporating Inclusive Excellence Student Learning Outcomes within Graduate Programs in Public Health Nutrition.”
- 2020 - 2021. Awardee, “Healthy for Life” implementation grant. Association of State Public Health Nutritionists, Aramark, American Heart Association, Aramark Corporation.
- 2020. Awardee, Beaver College of Health Sciences Teaching Award.
- 2020. Named one of the “Most Helpful Faculty and Staff” per student survey, Appalachian State University Office of Student Success.
- 2020. Awardee. Online Course Development Fall 2020 Stipend. Center for Academic Excellence, Appalachian State University.
- 2019. Awardee, University Academic Assessment Council (UAAC) Assessment Grant. “Curriculum Mapping: Graduate Programs in Public Health Nutrition”
- 2018. Awardee, University Research Council Grant. “Assessing Food Pantry Capacity in Eighteen Northwest North Carolina Counties through a Regional Food Bank Partnership.”
- 2018. PARE Grant (internal submission) awardee. Selected to write Appalachian State University’s 2018 submission for the Glaxo Smith Kline Ribbon of Hope grant. Grant title is “Comprehensive Nutrition Education: Addressing Nutrition Needs in a Low Income, Rural North Carolina Population”. Grant was not funded.