Dr. Farris is an Assistant Professor in Nutrition at Appalachian State University, a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN). She has a background in both community and clinical nutrition. Prior to receiving a PhD, Dr. Farris worked as a clinical dietitian for 8 years predominantly in pediatric populations. However, for the last 5 years her focus has been in community nutrition, specifically maternal and child nutrition issues as she consistently works with various community partners locally and globally on challenges such as: child nutrition programs, international nutrition, food insecurity and diet diversity, and food parenting practices. Dr. Farris enjoys mentoring undergraduate and graduate students in community research projects each year. She has authored and co-authored many publications and presentations in her research area, including national and international presentations. Aside from her professional life, Dr. Farris loves the mountains and enjoys exploring them with her husband and two children.
You can find out more about Dr. Farris, her research, and students at this website: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alisha_Farris.
Current courses being taught: Community Nutrition, Global Nutrition, Cultural Foods, Community and International Health Assessment
Previous Courses: Nutrition Education, Nutrition Counseling, Nutrition and Health
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior
- PhD in Behavioral and Community Nutrition, Virginia Tech
- MS in Dietetics, University of Central Arkansas
- BS in Dietetics, University of Central Arkansas
- maternal and child nutrition
- international nutrition
- childhood obesity
- school-based nutrition
- Landry M, Farris A, Byker-Shanks C, Elkakib S. Addressing Food Waste in K-12 Schools. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2021. (In Review).
- Lindquist K, Mann G, Farris A, Gordon K, Misyak, S. Parent Perspectives of Packing School Lunches and Preparing Meals as a Family. J of Nutr Ed and Behav. 2020. (Submitted).
- Owen E, Farris Z, Razoliarivelo H, Griffin J, Farris A. Impact of a diet diversification and health and nutrition counseling program in Madagascar. World Nutr. 2021;12(2):21-31. DOI: 10.26596/wn.202112221-31
- Morgan M, Farris A, Arrowood J, Griffin J. Improving Food Security Through Cooking and Food Literacy Among Students Enrolled in Basic Food Science Lab at Appalachian State University. Journal of American College Health. 2021;1-6. doi: 10.1080/07448481.2021.1880414
- Farris, A., Mann, G., Parks, J., Arrowood, J., Roy, M., Misyak, S. School Nutrition Director Perceptions of Flexible Regulations for School Nutrition Programs in One Southeastern State. J of School Health. 2021;91(4).. DOI: 10.1111/josh.13002
- Gutschall M, Hege A, Farris A. Community-Academic Partnerships that Improve Food and Nutrition Security in Rural Appalachia. Sustainable Health Journal. 2021;1(1):40-56.
- Hege, A., Farris A., Dailey, A., Julian, M. Promoting Nutritional Health, Healthy Food Systems, and Well Being of the Community. In: Barth MM, ed. Public Health Nutrition: Rural, Urban and Global Perspectives for Community Practice. New York, NY: Springer; 2020.
- McArthur L, Fasczewski K, Farris A, Petrone, M. “No one is alone in the struggle”: Low Use of a University Food Pantry in Appalachia Suggests a Need for Food Security Education. J of Appalachian Health. 2020;2(2): 7-23. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13023/jah.0202.02.
- O’Keefe K., Serrano E., Davis G.C., Cole D.A., Frisard M., Farris, A. School lunches are less expensive than home-packed lunches: a comparative cost study that includes time. J of Child Nutr Management. 2020;44(1).
- Frymark EE, Stickford JL, Farris A. A Nutritional and Environmental Analysis of Local Food Pantries Accessible to College Students in Rural North Carolina. J of Appalachian Health. 2020;2(2):24-35. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13023/jah.0202.03.
- Elkakib S, Landry M, Farris A, Coombs C. Food Waste in K-12 Schools: An Opportunity to Create More Equitable and Sustainable Food Systems. J of Nutr Ed and Behav. 2020;52(5): pp463. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2020.03.004.
- Farris, A., Misyak S., O’Keefe, K., Van Sickin, L Porton, I. Understanding the drivers of food choice and barriers to a diet diversity in Madagascar. J of Hunger and Environ Nutrition. 2019. DOI: 10.1080/19320248.2019.1566110
- Thompson L, Savoie-Roskos M, Farris A, Riggsbee K, Wiggins S. Addressing the Issue of Food Insecurity on College Campuses. J of Nutr Ed and Behav. 2019(51) pp517. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2019.03.016
- Farris, A., Roy M., Serrano E., Misyak S. Impact of Breakfast in the Classroom on Participation and Food Waste. J of Nutr Ed and Behav. 2019; S1499-4046. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2019.04.015.
- Vashro TN, Farris A, Kraak VI, Hulver MW, Gueye F, Abaye AO. The effects of mung bean on improving dietary diversity among women and children in northeastern Senegal. J Nutr Ecol Food Res. 2018;5(1/2):40–46.
- Misyak S., Hedrick V., Pudney E., Serrano S., Farris A. Reliability of a Market Basket Assessment Tool (MBAT) for use in SNAP-Ed Healthy Retail Initiatives. J of Nutr Ed and Behavr. 2018(50) pp511-515. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2018.01.012.
- Farris A., Misyak S. “Improving School Food Environments.” Advances in Health and Disease. Ed. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Vol 5, 2018; pp. 225-236.
- Kasparian M., Mann G., Serrano, E., Farris, A. Parenting Practices toward Food and Children’s Behavior: Eating Away from Home Versus at Home. Appetite. 2017; 114:194-199. DOI:10.1016/j.appet.2017.03.045
- Farris, A., Misyak, S., Atzaba-Poria, N., Hosig, K., Davis, G.C., McFerren, M., Duffey, K., Serrano, E.L. Results and Implications of an Elementary Lunch Survey: The Perceptions of Packing and the National School Lunch Program. Journal of Child Nutrition and Management, 2016;40(1).
- Misyak, S., Ledlie Johnson, M., Midkiff, J., Serrano E., Farris, A. Advancing the Field: Language and Training for Inclusion of LGBT Communities in Nutrition Programming. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2016;48(2):157.
- Misyak, S., Farris, A., Mann, G., Serrano E.L. Importance of Improving the Nutritional Quality of Packed Lunches in the U.S. Journal of Child Nutrition and Management, 2015;39(2).
- Farris, A., Misyak, S., Duffey, K., Mann, G., Davis. G.C., Hosig, K., Atzaba-Poria, N., Hosig, K., McFerren, M., Serrano, E.L. A Comparison of Fruits, Vegetables, Sugar-Sweetened Beverages, and Desserts in the Packed Lunches of Elementary Children. Childhood Obesity, 2015;11(3):275-280.
- Byker, C., Farris, A., Marcenelle, M., Davis, G.C., Serrano, E.L. Food Waste in a School Nutrition Program After Implementation of New NSLP Guidelines. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2014;46(5):406-11.
- Byker, C., Serrano, E., Ermann, M., Farris, A. The Impact of Cafeteria Noise on School Lunch Consumption: A Plate Waste Study. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2014;46(4):S184.
- Farris, A., Misyak, S., Atzaba-Poria, N., Hosig, K., Davis, G.C., McFerren, M., Duffey, K., Serrano, E.L. Nutritional Comparison of Packed and School Lunches following the Implementation of the 2012-2013 National School Lunch Program Standards. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2014;46(6):621-626.
- Breaux, A., Hyatt J., Farris A., Molina K. Tools for Organizing Medical Information Created for Family Support. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 2010:25(2):e2.