Dr. Farris is an Assistant Professor in Nutrition at Appalachian State University, a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), and a Board Certified Specialist in Pediatric Nutrition (CSP). She has a background in both community and clinical nutrition. Prior to receiving a PhD, Dr. Farris worked as a clinical dietitian for 8 years predominantly in pediatric populations. However, for the last 5 years her focus has been in community nutrition, specifically maternal and child nutrition issues as she consistently works with various community partners locally and globally on challenges such as: child nutrition programs, international nutrition, food insecurity and diet diversity, and food parenting practices. Dr. Farris enjoys mentoring undergraduate and graduate students in community research projects each year. She has authored and co-authored many publications and presentations in her research area, including national and international presentations. Aside from her professional life, Dr. Farris loves the mountains and enjoys exploring them with her husband and two children
You can find out more about Dr. Farris, her research, and students at this website: http://alisha010.wix.com/alishafarris.
Current courses being taught: Community Nutrition, Nutrition and Health
Previous Courses: Nutrition Education, Nutrition Counseling
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior
- maternal and child nutrition
- international nutrition
- childhood obesity
- school-based nutrition
- Farris, A., Misyak S., O’Keefe, K., & Van Sickin, L. Understanding the drivers of food choice and barriers to a diverse diet in Madagascar. (In Review) J of Hunger and Environ Nutrition. 2017.
- Kasparian M., Mann G., Serrano, E., & Farris, A. Parenting Practices toward Food and Children’s Behavior: Eating Away from Home Versus at Home. Appetite. 2017; 114:194-199. DOI:10.1016/j.appet.2017.03.045
- Misyak, S., Ledlie Johnson, M., Midkiff, J., Serrano E., & Farris, A. Advancing the Field: Language and Training for Inclusion of LGBT Communities in Nutrition Programming. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2016;48(2):157.
- Misyak, S. & Farris, A. Build a Balanced Bag Lunch [New Resources for Nutrition Educators]. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016;48:158.e1.
- Farris, A., Misyak, S., Atzaba-Poria, N., Hosig, K., Davis, G.C., McFerren, M., Duffey, K., Serrano, E.L. Results and Implications of an Elementary Lunch Survey: The Perceptions of Packing and the National School Lunch Program. Journal of Child Nutrition and Management, 2016;40(1).
- Farris, A., Misyak, S., Duffey, K., Mann, G., Davis. G.C., Hosig, K., Atzaba-Poria, N., Hosig, K., McFerren, M., Serrano, E.L. A Comparison of Fruits, Vegetables, Sugar-Sweetened Beverages, and Desserts in the Packed Lunches of Elementary Children. Childhood Obesity, 2015;11(3):275-280.
- Misyak, S., Farris, A., Mann, G., Serrano E.L. Importance of Improving the Nutritional Quality of Packed Lunches in the U.S. Journal of Child Nutrition and Management, 2015;39(2).
- Farris, A., Misyak, S., Atzaba-Poria, N., Hosig, K., Davis, G.C., McFerren, M., Duffey, K., Serrano, E.L. Nutritional Comparison of Packed and School Lunches following the Implementation of the 2012-2013 National School Lunch Program Standards. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2014;46(6):621-626.
- Byker, C., Serrano, E., Ermann, M., Farris, A. The Impact of Cafeteria Noise on School Lunch Consumption: A Plate Waste Study. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2014;46(4):S184.
- Byker, C., Farris, A., Marcenelle, M., Davis, G.C., Serrano, E.L. Food Waste in a School Nutrition Program After Implementation of New NSLP Guidelines. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 2014;46(5):406-11.
- Breaux, A., Hyatt J., Farris A., Molina K. Tools for Organizing Medical Information Created for Family Support. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 2010:25(2):e2.